Even though I banished my TBR in 2018, I need a bit of a distraction for my upcoming op, and The Quiet Pond’s Pondathon seemed like the perfect thing. I have always enjoyed that extra push a readathon gives to prioritise reading, yet I’ve never seen anything quite like this before – a story-driven readathon where participants read to gain points for their team. What an incredible motivator! It was great fun creating a character and reading some of the story to set the scene. I’ve even joined the Discord, where I realised pretty quickly that I could have jazzed my character up a lot more (Neil was shouting “give it a hat, give it a hat!”).
Interested? Here’s the spiel:
What is the Pondathon?
The Pondathon is a co-operative and story-driven readathon hosted and run by CW from The Quiet Pond. The aim of the Pondathon is to read books and collect points to protect the friends over at The Quiet Pond from the encroaching malevolent forces that threaten our friends in the forest. Have fun participating in the Pondathon readathon by joining one of five teams, each with a unique way to collect points and signing up! You can also follow the story of the Pondathon as it unfolds, and participants can also complete ‘side quests’ during the readathon to collect extra points. The readathon takes place from January 24th 2020 to March 7th 2020. More information about the readathon can be found here.
Information about Joining the Pondathon
- To join the Pondathon, simply sign up anytime between January 18th 2020 to March 5th 2020.
- Choose a team, create your own animal character for the Pondathon and create a character card!
- Create a blog post, bookstagram post, booktube video, Twitter thread, or whatever medium you wish, with ‘#Pondathon’ in the title or your tweet. Share the character you have created and your character card!
- Link back to this post so that others can find this readathon and join in.
Share your updates on your blog/bookstagram/booktube and social media. You are more than welcome to tag @thequietpond or @artfromafriend on Twitter or Instagram in all your updates! We’d love to see all of the beautiful and awesome characters that you create!
My Pond Character
Meet Bea, Guardian of Shiny Things. She was given a sword and knows that there’s some fighting to be done with it but- oh, it sure does have a nice shine to it. I like the way it glistens in the sunlight. Hmm, yes, shiny… er, where were we?
My Pondathon TBR
Since I’ll be reading during operation recovery, I thought I would play it safe with Team Xiaolong. I can get points for my team by doing the following:
Getting points for pages means if I’m feeling drowsy then I can read for a little bit then take a break! And audiobooks also count – isn’t that amazing?
Here are the books I’ll have piled up by my bedside for the next week or two:
- The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern
- And the Ocean Was Our Sky by Patrick Ness
- Sorry I’m Late, I Didn’t Want To Come by Jessica Pan
- Lightning Chase Me Home by Amber Lee Dodd
I’ll be tweeting about my progress until the end of the readathon! Follow me on Twitter for updates.
What do you think of the Pondathon? Will you be taking part this year?